Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Lyla and Bruce in Boudha 8/18/07

Lyla and Bruce came to Boudha last Saturday, and I showed them around. The picture here is of the Boudhanath Stupa. Bruce is a Chinese guy living in London, and is about to start college there. We had a nice breakfast at the New Orleans Cafe, and then went to meet Chokyi Nyima. First there was a reception in a beautiful room, and then the dharma talk happened in one of the large classrooms. It was packed when we got there. We had to sit in a small aisle that was left for Rinpoche to get to his seat. I was hoping the talk wouldn't be too difficult for Lyla and Bruce, but it was. Chokyi Nyima talked about the meaning of the lama, yidam, and dakini. It was a great talk for me, but I think most of it went over Lyla and Bruce's head. Then we when back to the stupa and did some shopping, and they bought some bracelets for their friends back home. Lyla bought a copy of Sogyal Rinpoche's "Tibetan Book of Living and Dying" at my recommendation. Then I took them inside the outer wall of the stupa. There's a small room just inside with two huge prayer wheels, and two little people who are always there saying mantra and taking alms. They can't be much more than two feet tall. Then we went out and I showed them where people do prostrations on boards a little larger than the size of doors that are worn down to silky smoothness. At the upper most part of the stupa, you can walk around the dome, and the views are pretty nice. You can see all the rooftop restaurants and cafes that can't be seen from street level. The dome of the stupa itself is very interesting looking. From far away it looks totally smooth, but close up it's pock-marked and greenish. I'll take a picture of it sometime so you can see what I mean. Then we had a drink at the New Orleans Cafe again and shared some hummus and pita bread, and then went to a Tibetan restaurant I know of. They liked the food there a lot. Afterwards, I walked them to Sechen Monastery, which they were very impressed by. I noticed the temple was unlocked, so we went inside. I think they were in the middle of a drubchen, a ten day ceremony, because they had large tormas set up like the ones I've posted on this site before. Not long after we went in, and old man shooed us out. Then I walked them to my guesthouse. Lyla may stay there later after her orphanage gig is up. Then they caught a cab, and I went to my room, laid down on the bed to read, and fell asleep for four hours. Showing people around town is tiring work!

No comments: